Midpoint Musings

Midpoint Musings

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Why I Teach, Produce, Direct . . .

In less than two weeks, I will present, with the help of 53 middle school students, a middle school musical at the school where I teach. So, yes, I am in the middle of the effort to push it over the top. My mother frequently asks me when I am at this point in a production; still making costumes, advertising, intense rehearsals, and the inevitable messy condition of my house; WHY I do this. In fact, I actually had a seventh grade student ask me WHY I teach.

I actually don't have a simple answer to either question. And just like following childbirth, one often utters to oneself, "never again," I know that I will continue to produce shows,and aim for the most dynamic lessons I can create, even if in the middle of it all, I actually want to run in another direction.

Still not satisfied that I have adequately answered why? Well, I suppose it is because being in the thick of creative activity and expression is to me the abundant life. Unfortunately, one cannot realize or experience this abundance without diving into the midst of the task, and, it is also in that place one is refined and inspired for the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment